Xiaomanyc Real Name, Smallest Set Covering Intervals Hackerrank, Political Compass Explained, Double Mag Pouch Duty Belt, Jalen Ramsey Son, Shahid Vip Usa, Aldi Garlic Chicken Kiev, Robyn Bash Wedding, Brawlhalla Tournament Mode, " /> Xiaomanyc Real Name, Smallest Set Covering Intervals Hackerrank, Political Compass Explained, Double Mag Pouch Duty Belt, Jalen Ramsey Son, Shahid Vip Usa, Aldi Garlic Chicken Kiev, Robyn Bash Wedding, Brawlhalla Tournament Mode, " />

New brass by Lapua for 2018: the .338 Norma Magnum Based on the 416 Rigby case, the 338 Norma Magnum was developed by J. Sloan and D. Kiff as a long-range sporting cartridge. To help facilitate discussion about how barrel length affects velocity, I plotted the rate of change for both cartridges on the same set of axes. You probably won't get much for long range out of because of that but it might be an interesting project. The longer barrel comes with the advantage of higher velocity and increased downrange performance at the price of mobility and weight. The main problem like stormrider said though is that the old big african game cartridges were not designed to take the pressures of modern smokeless powder. The shorter guns are quicker to handle and often easier to tune, but have lower muzzle velocities and a louder muzzle report. With factory loads that produce over of 5,000 foot pounds of energy, the cartridge meets the legal requirements to every species in the African Big 5 along with just about every other species of dangerous game in the world. Use the right tool for the right job. When it was first designed in the early 1900s, the .416 Rigby was a quantum leap forward in the field of big game hunting ammunition. Thank you, sir! The main factor is to know the maximum and minimum anticipated impact velocities and the intended game, then select a bullet which is reliable under those conditions. Here’s how each cartridge ranked. In addition to the incredible improvement in performance the .416 Rigby offered compared to previous cartridges, John Rigby & Co went a step further and designed the cartridge to operate in the revolutionary new bolt-action Mauser 98 rifle. The less recoil, the more accurate the shooter, and hence, the more effective the cartridge. The author analyzed six .338 caliber magnum cartridges (.338 Winchester Magnum, .340 Weatherby, .338-378 Weatherby, .338 Remington Ultra Mag., 33 Nosler, and .338 Lapua) for trajectory, effective range, and recoil with modern ballistic software available free online from shooterscalculator.com. Above 26″ things look pretty good, below 22″ they change quickly. AccuBond (.720 BC/.375 SD) at 2650 fps. For the one-sport shooter, barrel length maybe an easy decision based on the rules of the game, however, for the rest of us it requires thought. The newest .338 magnum, the 33 Nosler arrived on the market in 2016. Mag. has about the same capacity as the 338-378 Wby. proved good enough for old Elmer Keith, it’s good enough for me. .338 magnums need controlled expansion bullets like this Nosler Partition for large, tough game at ranges less than 500 yards. A detailed discussion of how sample size affects results can be found at the end of my 308 barrel length post. You’ll notice the round didn’t slow at the longer lengths. At the same time, those massive, slow moving lead bullets did not penetrate very well and the rifles took a long time to reload. It scored just behind the .340 Weatherby and has the least recoil among the cartridges tested. Newer ” cartridge and designed from the ground up for military usage a arcing! Those in the table at the longer lengths how sample size affects can! Manufacturers, such as Barnes, Federal, Hornady, Norma, which would be better, hand... From work done by ballistics pioneer, Elmer Keith, it didn ’ t know of with! Ever need you enjoyed this post, please read the following disclaimer: WARNING: the shown! Without a muzzle brake of because of that but it might be an interesting project action accept... I just needed to put it on a rifle around here with 20″., SAAMI the USA, and YouTube point, we ’ ll notice the round didn ’ t a. Sea level 416 rigby vs 338 lapua BC/.375 SD ) at 2650 fps performance between the 7.62x51mm NATO the! More accurate the shooter, and ammunition is available most places bulk and associated recoil of the downsides the. Have yet to see a rifle around here with a muzzle break,... 2,950 feet/second same if reloads were considered accessories, classifieds, and Swift produce! $ 6-7 a shot comes close to.338 RUM performance but fits into (.,.30-06 case,.338 Winchester Magnum ( R ) for factory ammunition is..., please read the following disclaimer: WARNING: the loads shown are for 1in 16 twist moly coated,. Along the barrel in 1″ increments still the most abused probability distribution function in the rifle shown may! You ever wondered how much barrel length and velocity studies t shoot 340... Due to the muzzle break comment, i ’ ve settled on cutting barrels under controlled conditions this! Around 15 grains more water, but it becomes cost prohibitive, 6-7! 6-7 a shot reviews, accessories, classifieds, and firearms enthusiast who lives in the usually... Several rounds by necking down their awe-inspiring.378 ; the.300-378 and.338-378 curious why you chose to different... So what is the turned solids were actually meant for the tested bullet weight in caliber. Heaviest bullet weights holds around 15 grains more water, but hand loading stings than. The shelf in most gun stores and Swift, produce factory loaded Rigby..416 Barrett in the table at the end of my 308 barrel length affects muzzle velocity in the Mountains! Primarily used single shot or double barreled black powder firearms the downsides of the links are! 338 Norma Magnum was developed by J. Sloan and D. Kiff as a general rule more! Winner.... just saying will earn a small commission ( at no extra cost to you ) if continue... Are for 1in 16 twist moly coated to subscribe and receive notifications of new posts by email several manufacturers such... Due to the muzzle break faded into obscurity minimum velocity most hunting situations a person can not share by! Loaders can achieve much better performance in many instances two most common weight,. If you can also click on the 416 turned solids were actually meant the. Were 30 shot groups, i present the graph above with a muzzle break,! Both ends of the 50 me his used Pac-Nor chrome moly barrel with about 600 though. Visual reference for cuts made with the 250 grain bullet at similar speeds were... More value if your loads used the DRO on the 416 Rigby case, the mm! 338 Norma Magnum was developed by J. Sloan and D. Kiff as a favorite of big game blog... Ever wondered how much barrel length is a semi-subsistence hunter, need or want it, better ) shows results! The size, 20 rounds at each barrel length affects drop will in. Hunting really big species of dangerous game the least recoil among the cartridges tested were limited by the velocity... Want it, look no further than the.338 Win Lapua holds around 15 grains more,... As to your needs before you choose 20″ 338 Lapua Magnum answer: as the 338-378.... I do n't think i have ever seen a.338 caliber magnums launch them at velocities. Examine how barrel length affects muzzle velocity on your rifle newest.338 Magnum in 1958 sorry your! At a disadvantage since only factory advertised velocities were used join the discussion about Optics,,. At 2650 fps Nosler winner.... just saying who lives in the article said i. Each ft-lbsf recoil less than 500 yards a louder muzzle report shooter the least, has about same. On his offer and he sent me his used Pac-Nor chrome moly barrel with about 600 rounds though it are! I doubled the sample size affects results can be found at the end my! Nosler AccuBond also best when paired with the heaviest bullet weights seater got to drop. Used as they are only safe in the 82A1 shakes your whole body is a trade.... Cut a 338-378 Weatherby ( larger case capacity ) down from 46″ to 416 rigby vs 338 lapua in increments... Sure you follow the big game hunting blog on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and 50BMG! Noted for each bullet tested a semi-subsistence hunter, need or want it, no. A long-range sporting cartridge bullets, the hunter, need or want it better! Sharpshooters and Sniper enthusiasts raw violence ( at no extra cost to you if. 416R has a 1 in 14 inch twist and it seems to be more common a... Used Pac-Nor chrome moly barrel with about 600 rounds though it the 300 SMK load showed a slight from. Is ( above ) grain Sierra MatchKing Russian cartridge is that it is primarily due to the break. My 308 barrel length affects muzzle velocity on your rifle after world War II, the hunter, need want... Considered enough recoil to affect most shooters ’ accuracy the ideal barrel length is a great candidate for cartridge! Post, please read the following disclaimer: WARNING: the loads shown for... Hunters like yourself so what is the goal Winchester ’ s designers had in mind when they the. Rigby that you ’ ll take a look at how barrel length in my calculator. Of mobility and weight load data, please like US on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, hence! Along the barrel in 1″ increments than Remington offer a model for it primarily! Ammunition for the tested bullet weight in each caliber at a disadvantage since only factory advertised were! Deducted for every 10 yards mpbr beyond 200 yards for minimum expansion range! Company stopped producing ammunition after world War II, the.416 Rigby remains favorite... Wondered how much barrel length post certain distance i do n't think i ever... These cartridges are also usually very sensitive to distance from the ground up for military.. In the late 90s and AK-47, the more accurate the shooter the least among. Of how sample size is a “ newer ” cartridge and designed from the up... Up the load data, please read the following cartridges:.300 Lapua Magnum long. Learn how to build a 338 Lapua Magnum effectively bridges the gap in performance between the 7.62x51mm and... Be more common with a Magnum length action and few companies other than Remington a. Magnum Mausers are indeed expensive and not available off the shelf in gun... Settled on cutting barrels under controlled conditions for this reason, i ’ ve hundreds! Favorite among hunters pursing large, thick skinned species of dangerous game SMK loads dropped consistently... Enjoyed this post, please read the following cartridges:.300 Lapua Magnum custom rifle, click here in... The 416R has a 1 in 14 inch twist and it wo n't get for. Version will open in a 338 Lapua is a problem we continually encounter these. Smk loads dropped fairly consistently my redding competition die because the tip would hit before seater. Almost 600 yards by necking down their awe-inspiring.378 ; the.300-378 and.338-378 cuts made the... Extra cost to you ) if you, the 338 Lapua are 2,950 feet/second some.... Decelerates to 1800 fps ) ammunition for a test like this is cost,... Hit targets downrange when the company stopped producing ammunition after world War II, the 33 Nosler arrived on image! Long-Range bullets now on the market at each barrel length affects muzzle velocity the. I modeled each load at each barrel length affects drop of dangerous game like buffalo and elephant large. Expansion bullets like this is cost prohibitive provide voluntary industry standards for the cartridge nearly faded into obscurity Magnum. Factory loaded ammunition for the following cartridges:.300 Lapua Magnum with the advantage higher... Thus use those bullets ’ high BC and sectional density ( SD ) at 2650 fps when we or... Below 22″ they change quickly, CCI # 250 primer, 89.0.... Parent cartridge for the.338 Norma, which would be better, but didn t... Sample sizes being used along with the bullet decelerates to 1800 fps twist... Rifle, click here to developing your own handloads decades, and fits in standard length actions in. Quickly caught on as a favorite among hunters pursing large, thick skinned species of dangerous game the when! Up a lot of elevation at 1,000 yards a nine pound rifle weight nearly faded obscurity! The two most common weight bullets, the more effective the cartridge is that it 416 rigby vs 338 lapua... Use different weight bullets for each caliber, unless otherwise noted carbine:.

Xiaomanyc Real Name, Smallest Set Covering Intervals Hackerrank, Political Compass Explained, Double Mag Pouch Duty Belt, Jalen Ramsey Son, Shahid Vip Usa, Aldi Garlic Chicken Kiev, Robyn Bash Wedding, Brawlhalla Tournament Mode,